Monday, March 06, 2006

Sincerity and courtesy as it ages. Are you serious?

Sincerity, among mankind has been dealt a long slow, but sure blow as people become less considerate and uncivilized. It's funny how that works: technological advances do not equal individual upgrades in the way the average person treats others and is treated. What's wrong with people in general? Is it just me or are people becoming mindless retorting beasts who let their emotions rule them? I've always thought there was a level of respect, that's not difficult to maintain, for everyone, just if people thought about the things they're going to say and how they should deal with their feelings effectively.
Movies like Pride and Prejudice, Emma, The Scarlet Pimpernell, etc., all filmed like they were back in the day, are all good examples of courtesy and respect. Whether they way they acted towards one another was accurate or not, I don't know, but I don't think it could be far from the truth. The Chivalry age seemed to fade with these decayed courtesy ethics. Now it's hard for me to go throughout a day without hearing an enraged someone bite another's head off, with the receiver verbally retorting with a slur of insults or justifications. It's as though people back then knew that everyone was different, and could see past their noses, the possible motives for one's actions instead of concentrating on their own feelings 24-7. So what's the cause for all of this accumulated harshness within mankind?
Differences and possibilities for this resulted apathy could be technology. Times back then did not have cars, individualistic activities like video games, and the overall comforts we can enjoy just about anywhere in the world. They would either have to walk everywhere, or take the carriage to only decrease the time of arrival slightly. Spending time by yourself in front of a screen, whether it's for your work or play, was unheard of. Whatever one did or wherever one went, it would just be plain boring if they were alone, therefore with so much time one would spend in other's company one could probably not help but be social. This leads me to believe that people back then were much more sociable and polite because of the lack of individualistic agendas common throughout society today.
A little bit of courtesy can go a long way. Just think about all the psychological problems people have now today, not to mention suicides, that could have been averted had some people decided not to do the first thing that popped into their minds. It's so natural for humans to take the offensive, regardless of how it effects others. If individuals decided to think about what they're saying, and whether it really ought to be said or not, then there wouldn't be so many depressed and people who are driven even further away from being friendly to the next person. Selfishness would decrease everywhere. One would probably meet a truly happy person every once in a while.

2 Comments:

Blogger Noelle said...

I'm sorry you have such a bleak outlook on all us regular folk. Though I agree that many things may be worse today, things back then weren't that great either. In Pride and Prejudice, Emma, and most other Victorian-Era novels (especially those actually written in the period), there's at least one person who lives in shame because of the way they act, or their level of intelligence (Elizabeth's family, Harriet). I think people had better communicative skills, but I'm not sure I agree that they weren't concentrating on themselves an awful lot of the time. And I think that even today you will find several truly happy people (that is, of course, if you are looking for someone who is happy 24-7. That would go against the laws of temporal testing.) Wow, I'm opinionated...sorry

6:36 PM  
Blogger Sir Radish said...

hehe But they are worse, regardless of how bleak they were back then. Anyhow, I kind of wrote this when I was is a negative mood, though I don't relinquish more than a quarter of what I said. I suppose it is possible that the population of people that often react out of impulse is simply growing with the population of the world, and they're just becoming louder, and louder with less and less space to get away from them. We have so much more reasoning and advanced methods of showing people their unforgivingness than they did back then though, don't we? Social classes are much less prominent and most racism and sexism has had its fleeting say. At least in this country. People still seem to have the need to find ways to put themselves above others and make themselves feel good about it.

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home